Sunday, September 20, 2009

Saturday Morning

Called Dad at 7:30am Saturday morning to see if he was ready to go to breakfast. When I picked him shortly thereafter he very excited to tell me of a new' lady' he had just meet (maybe he said 'girl' and my subconscious blocked it out). And the good news, he said, is that she is married and, " she's really nice to me...". (I would think her being married and all would be somewhat of a stumbling block, at least initially). When I ask who this person was he said, he said, "The gal that cleans my house." That would be Paula, I said. (Please refer to Dennis' blog of this same date).

When I drove him to McDonald's in Centerville I tried to explain that Paula is a genuinely nice person and is just trying to be helpful - The kindness of strangers phenomenon (and that she is half his age and is already sealed to her husband).

During the McDonald's / WalWart breakfast I asked Dad about the pending colonoscopy and again he reiterated his position of not willing to go without Excedrin for a week prior to the procedure. As a side, I totally understand Dad's reluctance to stop taking the medicine that seems to be the only thing between him and an out-of-control headache. However, I also understand the physician's request because aspirin thins the blood too much during a medical procedure and makes it harder to control bleeding. (I've had to go without about 20 times since 2005).

When Dad said he would rather skip the colonoscopy than the Excedrin, I asked him if he understood the ramifications of what he was saying - Was he willing to put his life at risk over some pills. He said something to the effect that he was 84 years old and windowed and he was quite ready for the next life. Whether or not he'll remember this conversation, who knows...

He said he didn't need anything else that day. He said he was looking forward to Meals-On-Wheels to start next week. He also said he didn't need a ride to church in the morning because he wasn't going. When I asked him why he told me that he was suppose to speak in Sacrament Meeting and was going to bug-out so he didn't have to.
(That's my Dad...)

4 comments:

  1. Hey, Gary. Quick question... Did the doctor order the colonoscopy for a specific concern or was it just a preventative measure?

    Thanks in advance

    m

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to try that next time they ask me to speak in church!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The results of Dad's blood work and physical that he had a few weeks ago showed that was anemic. The doctor ordered the tests because Anemia in a person dad's age usually means he has a bleeding ulcer or colon cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to visit Dad Monday evening, Sep 21. I took him to McDonalds (Walmart) to eat as all he had to eat today was a can of peaches. I expressed my concern with him not eating enough and regularly.

    We ran into Luann and her son. We also ran into another gentleman from the North Canyon Stake that recognized Dad and struck up a conversation; but Dad couldn't remember him.

    At Walmart, we got Dad some soup, orange juice, and other needed groceries.

    I had a talk with Dad about the importance of his doctor's appt. He has agreed to look at that again; I just have to help him get over the Excedrin hurdle.

    Dad's problem with the doctor's appt. is he kind of wants to accelerate his own mortality. With more time, I will try and get the doctor's appt. redone.

    Dad and I had a philosophical discussion about his perception of Mom's (presumed) premature passing due to eating habits/health issues. Dad feels strongly that mom was culpable of that; and I asked Dad, well, if you're doing the same thing... (He got the point.)

    Dad and I read from the Ensign for FHE.

    Meals on Wheels did not arrive today; but should arrive tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete