Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Monday, September 21, 2009

I went to visit Dad Monday evening, Sep 21.

...pardon the copy, paste, and reconstruct of this post. Blogger wasn't exactly intuitive about my needing an invite to participate.

I took Dad yesterday to McDonalds (Walmart) to eat as all he had to eat today was a can of peaches. (I expressed our concern about his haphazard eating habits.) The meals on wheels folks didn't show up today; but Dad feels they should show up Tuesday.

Going back to Walmart/McDonalds: We ran into Luann and her son. We also ran into another gentleman from the North Canyon Stake that recognized Dad and struck up a conversation; but Dad didn't remember him.

At Walmart, we got Dad some soup, orange juice, and other needed groceries. I had a talk with Dad about the importance of his doctor's appt. He has agreed to look at that again; I just have to help him get over the Excedrin hurdle.

Dad's problem with the doctor's appt. is he kind of wants to accelerate his own mortality. With more time, I will try and get the doctor's appt. redone. Dad and I had a philosophical discussion about his perception of Mom's premature passing due to eating habits/health issues. Dad feels strongly that mom was culpable of that; and I asked Dad, well, if you're doing the same thing...He then stated that it's o.k. for him as an 84 year old to do that; but not o.k. for mom at 77 to do it.

Once Dad realized he painted himself into a corner, I dropped it. (But, he got the point.) I expressed my concern with him not eating enough and regularly. We'll see how meals on wheels does. Thanks Kathy for setting that up.

Dad and I read from the Ensign for FHE and spent some time together.

2 comments:

  1. It seems that the difference in Dad's mind is that he says that he is ready to pass on. Unlike Mom whose eating disorder was somewhat involuntary, it almost seems that Dad is not eating consciously.

    Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I think Dad's is kind of thinking--84 years is long enough. He misses his wife. What can you do? Isn't there anything that he can do to have any fun or feel fulfilled?

    ReplyDelete