Thursday, September 10, 2009

Thursday, September 10, 2009

I called Harold yesterday to remind him of his appointment today with Dr. Lym, a family practitioner. I told him he needed to fast from midnight until his appointment at 10:45 AM. When I picked him up this morning he said he had been fasting since I called yesterday! Next time I will call at night before a doctor's appointment!
He talked to the doctor about his constant battle with constipation - Dr. Lym gave him a Rx which he would not let me take him to get filled. He said he would take care of it. I don't know why he would not let me take him. The other item was a urinary problem that Dr. Lym referred to a Urologist that Harold had already seen. When Dr. Lym told him, Harold said he wanted to pick the doctor he would see. When we got home we looked through his phone book and found the doctor he wanted - Dr. David Henderson at Lakeview. I made an appointment for September 29th at 11:30. That is a Tuesday (Gary).
I painted the curb in the garage so that he would be able to see it better. I also took his white shirts to the cleaners. Kathryn will pick them up Saturday.
I should also mention that I asked Dr. Lym privately what signs we should be looking for to determine if Harold is entering the initial phases of Alzheimer's. These are the things he said to look for: 1. Change in personality, 2. Getting disoriented while driving, 3. Forgetting to eat, 4. Unable to keep his own checkbook and 5. Unable to purge old items from the refrigerator. (I am really suprised I could remember all five!) When I told Dr. Lym that he is doing all these things he gave me a packet of materials for us to read about Alzheimer's and some sample medication. I didn't give Harold the medication because he still denies having any memory problems.
I forgot to mention that we went to Crown Burgers because he said he was starved. No kidding, after fasting for 24 hours. When I left, he thanked me for taking him to the Dr. and for lunch.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you Mom for doing this. I feel so helpless and clueless out here and I appreciate you taking the time to do this! You are an AMAZING daughter and mother and sister!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a little taken back by those statements from the doctor. Grandpa is for sure experiencing those symptoms. It was sad to experience some first hand. I am glad we have a blog for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for putting this blog together, but now I am in tears for Grandpa! He has been on my mind so much and I know I need to get up there and visit with him. This really does help for us to stay in touch with all that is going on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for all you do! I know this is hard on all of you. I so wish there was something I could do to help out! Glad to know that this blog is going now! Called Gpa 2 days ago but he didn't want to talk I don't think. Love you all and love you Grandpa.

    ReplyDelete